Sunday, May 16, 2010

Embracing the Chaos?

16 May 2010

Kigali, Rwanda

Today, a million women trapped me, but I’ll get to that later. I’m trying to give up my Western perspective, and it’s not working out very well. There has been an interesting succession of events over the past two days. Starting early Saturday morning, I could hear the throbbing beat of music emanating from the large stadium near our house. Walking to the bus stop, I realized that these sounds meant political support. Hundreds of people clad in RPF attire- shirts, hats, flags- flooded the streets, on foot, on moto taxis, and in dozens of buses. Red, white, and blue blanketed the bustling sidewalk, an eerie expression of support for the incumbent administration.

Once in town, everything seemed normal enough, overwhelming as usual. We went to the fabric warehouse, a mall of sorts-small rooms jutting off of a large corridor, each filled with six-foot high stacked bolts of fabric in every color and pattern. The warehouse has a much larger selection of fabric than Kimironko, the market, if anyone can believe that. But it’s remarkably less stressful. I was still greeted with “karibu,” (you are welcome) every time I entered a store, but after that I was left alone to shop, without the constant attention of the storeowners. Maybe I’m becoming more accustomed to the hustle and bustle of Kigali city life. Or maybe I look less like a mzungu. Or maybe I know where to go to avoid that sort of attention. I know how to say “I’m not called mzungu,” and that seems to help, especially when it comes to negotiating prices (“ntabwo ni twa mzungu”). I bought somewhere around 5 meters of fabric for less than $20. Haggling is almost enjoyable for me now, the drama of impossibility- getting a cab to town that supposed to cost around 3,000 Rwf, I’m told costs 5,000. Here’s the typical back and forth:

Driver- “Taxi?”

Rob- “(nods)”

Driver- “Enter!”

Rob- “Ni angahe (how much)?”

Driver- “5,000”

Rob- “Bof! Ntabwo ni twa mzungu. 2,500.”

Driver- “No, no. 5,000.”

Rob- “Ehhh, 3,000.”

Driver- “OK, 4,000”

Rob- “(starts to walk away)”

Driver- “OK, enter.”

Rob- “3,500?”

Driver- “OK, let’s go.”

VICTORY!

Living in a society where everything is for sale and everything is negotiable is difficult to get used to. I miss the days when I knew what things cost and items were clearly labeled. But I have to admit that shopping is more fun. There’s always the chance that I’m going to get jipped, and vendors almost always try to make me pay around 3-times as much as something genuinely costs because of the color of my skin. There’s a sense of adventure now, though, with every purchase that I make. The chaos is something I’ve begun to associate as being African. One of my co-workers frequently tells me to “embrace the chaos,” and I try to follow that advice everyday. It’s difficult though, to give up that part of my American-ness. The structure of the West is enviable, but there is a sense of losing something in that structure. Shopping here is a much more personal experience. You have to get much closer to vendors and other customers to attain success. The distance of scanners and bar codes is non-existent. As usual, I don’t know which system is “better” or “worse.”

Later that night, while I was at home eating dinner, there was the third grenade attack to hit Kigali. This time, as the U.S. Embassy mass email informed me, the attack occurred near the city center in Kiyovu, most likely very close to where I am currently writing this blog. The U.S. Embassy message didn’t give any other information, and it has been through other local sources that I have come to know that there was one casualty, and several injuries. The attack hasn’t appeared in any international news as of 3 p.m., and I have yet to see the New Times for today. Interestingly enough, the grenade attack that occurred on 4 March was not written about in the international press either. Popular belief of the motives behind these attacks has been Kagame’s impending reelection, to occur in August. Earlier this week, the main article on the front page of the New Times read “Kagame Confident of Ruling Party Victory.” Truthfully, I don’t know a single person who isn’t. But that article certainly doesn’t settle well with those who realize just how “confident” Kagame must be. The suspension of two local newspapers, the high profile arrest and bail of opposition leader Victoire Ingabire, the arrest and/or exile of four high ranking military officials, the deportation of a leading Human Rights Watch researcher, and the recent news coming out of the Times and BBC have left my human rights, democracy, American alert bells ringing. But what I have come to realize is that there is a different side to this story, and whether it’s a justification or not, I think it’s worth contemplating.

Starting with the suspension of these two newspapers, they actually did break certain laws regarding the press. Granted, these laws have been cited as being markedly vague and largely left up to the interpretation of an administration headed by a man who recently made Reporters Without Borders’ top five Predators of the Press list, but the suspensions were legal. And looking at the offenses in the context of Rwanda’s history, some comments made crossed some post-genocide lines. This has become a main theme in my thought processes regarding political issues in Rwanda, just how far does the government need to go in order to prevent the ethnic divisionism that, contrary to much Western opinion, still exists. And that brings me to the Ingabire question. Aside from making several comments that resemble the retaliatory genocide ideology of the early 90s, she doesn’t seem to have much of a political platform outside of simply opposing the Kagame administration. Objectively the situation seems to be easily understood- a Hutu opposition leader coming back to Rwanda after years of exile is almost immediately arrested under similarly vague laws. Seems like a question of political pluralism, and there’s a definite possibility that it is. There is also the possibility that it’s a question of national sovereignty and the prevention of recurring ethnic crises. The same questions will apply to the arrest and exile of several leading military officials. It could be part of a general shake up of the military, partly in response to the grenade attacks and suspected complicity. It could also be an extension of a systematic harassment and repression of any form of opposition to the Kagame administration. With the deportation of the Human Rights Watch’s leading researcher, more questions arise. Human Rights Watch has been in Rwanda since 1994, and since that time they have been critical of human rights in Rwanda. Many members of the Western press would like to assume that her deportation was a political move to prevent future criticisms, and to disregard the accusations against her faulty paperwork as falsified or the result of mismanaged bureaucracy. But looking at it from a different perspective we can see that it could just be a question of national sovereignty. If her papers were forged, something that seems unlikely for a top researcher working with one of the most well respected human rights groups in the world, then the government would have every right to deny her visa application, just as we would do in the United States. And from an objective perspective, if the government of Rwanda was truly attempting to prevent criticism from Human Rights Watch, it doesn’t seem as if refusing to grant a single visa to a single researcher would be a particularly effective means.

As for the remaining criticism coming out of the international press, it always seems as though there is some train of thought that justifies what immediately seems to be a blatant affront to human rights and political freedom. If anyone has read the Times article regarding the so-called Island Prison in Rwanda, I hope you have also read the Minister of Youth’s response that came out in the Opinion section. This exchange expresses my confusion (also see the BBC article regarding Kagame’s avoidance of lawsuits leveled against him by the widows of the former president’s of Rwanda and Burundi while visiting the U.S.).

Today, on my way into town for my traditional Sunday stay at Shokola, I found myself trapped along the mile long stretch of dirt road leading to my house. It was the march of a million women in support of gender equality. Either end of the dirt road was under heavy guard by the military and police forces, and people and cars bounced back and forth between both exits in utter confusion. I wasn’t allowed to get close enough to the road to even have a clear view of the march. In the distance I could only see masses of white shirts meander down the main roadway. I heard from a passerby that Kagame was a part of the demonstration.

I suppose I could be a cynic about all of this. Interestingly enough, I could probably be an optimist. I think it’s much more complex than that. Joining either side of this debate, that of the international press or that of the socioeconomic elite in Kigali, would be far too simple. Both of those perspectives are well justified, but somehow incomplete. Both are swayed by certain allegiances and preconceived notions about politics and freedom. I haven’t been able to reach any firm conclusions about this country. Perhaps Rwanda doesn’t need democracy right now. Perhaps it needs a strong hand like Kagame’s to bring it out of the utter destruction of 1994. I think the justifications of the issues above don’t really go far enough, and Western expectations probably go too far. What I do believe is that giving up on a strictly Western perspective is necessary when it comes to comprehending any truth that I might find in Rwanda. I look at it sort of like I look at haggling. Embracing the chaos, learning to love the chaos- I’ve learned to look outside of my “comfort zone.” Politics, metaphorically, can be similar- different, exciting, chaotic, un-American. And out of the chaos that consumes this society, I think there are better solutions than those offered by the West. Whether or not the current administration is evil or benevolent or necessary, I have to bring myself to a point where I don’t look at it as inherently flawed. I’m constantly overwhelmed, and it makes me a stronger person.

1 comment:

  1. socio-economic elite? really?.....im going to have to give you a whispering

    ReplyDelete